Daily Bulletin Wednesday, May 22, 2019 Day 2
- Congratulations to Grade 11 student, Rowyn Mustus who was one of 12 students in the Central region selected to receive an Honouring Spirit: Indigenous Student Award. This award recognizes First Nation, Metis and Inuit students who model strength and commitment in the pursuit of their personal education path and embrace their own gifts, strengths and potential while celebrating the ways of their people. Rowyn was honored at an awards ceremony at Government House in Edmonton!
- Grade 12s wanting to Graduate this June - FRIDAY JUNE 7 IS THE LAST DAY TO HAND IN ANY LEARNING STRATEGIES MODULES FOR GRADING
- Wed - Friday- A construction company will be working on long jump and triple jump areas at the south side of the track . please stay away from these areas.
- Beginning Tuesday May 14 - Thursday May 30 the front foyer area directly in front of the stage will be closed to students during block one. The foyer and the main entrance stairwell will be closed to students entirely. Further, students who are going to the track are to take the entrance/exit between room 164 and the industrial wing. After the spring Drama 10/20/30 production, students will be welcomed back to the foyer and main stairwell for block one.
- Gr 8-11 students in 2019/2020 -- please review the OJSH website (onowayhigh.ca ) for links to information and a google survey for you and your parents regarding a proposal to consider a 5 bolck day, in the 2019/20 year
- June 2019 Sr High FInal exam schedule. -Will be posted in classrooms / website and May 2019 newsletter
- Attendance Policy has been posted in every classroom and is effective March 4.. Please ensure your parents/guardians are informing the school when you are absent or late, otherwise students will be subject to the attendance/late policy as posted.
- Students who are driving please do not litter in the student parking lot. If you need to clean your vehicle out please pop in the office and we will give you a garbage bag if you need.
- Just a reminder to students that the Heritage Center is not for students to loiter, smoke or vape.
- Now that track area is opened. Please refrain from calling the OES students to the fence area, when you are at the east end of the track area.
- Please review the dress code policy as the weather is warming up there are infractions already occurring. If you are not following dress code, any staff may ask you to change or cover up and you need to follow their direction.
- Just a reminder to all students who drive that the 5 minute drop off zone in front of the school is not for students!
- All Northern Gateway Students are required to pay a yearly $30 technology fee. It is added to any other fee charged to the School Cash Accounting System Payment can be made online or in the office.
- Students who are taking non-diploma ADLC courses must be finished course work by June 21st. The last possible day to write the final exam is June 26th. For the students taking Diploma Courses with ADLC, course work must be finished by the end of May, final exam written in the first week of June, and students must be registered for their Diploma Exam through My Pass.
ART CLUB –
- For the next few weeks, we will be working on the Heritage Days photo op. cut outs. We could definitely use help. We are working on certain members of the Avengers and people will be popping their heads in the cut-outs to take pictures.
- Mustangs Cheerleading -The next "Try Cheer" practice is moved to Thurs.May.30 from 3:30pm to 5pm. If you did not attend the first practice but you are still interested, please come see Mrs. Elliott for information.
RUNNING CLUB- See Mrs. McNalley for this week’s schedule.
- OJSH MAD Dash (5Km, 10Km) TEAM MAD fitness is offering an awesome student rate. The run is June 8. If you want to join the school team start training with us during “Running Club” - see above for run times.PLEASE SEE MRS. MCNALLEY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN DOING THE MAD DASH, even if you are not planning on practicing with us. Forms need to be in by May 15 to guarantee a race t-shirt!
- Band Members - Please remember our bottle drive is THIS SATURDAY May 25th. Please bring your bottles in, volunteer to help out, and spread the word!
- Honour Band Schedule for the next two weeks is as follows: Thursday May 23rd - Full Band, Tuesday May 28th - Full Band, Thursday May 30th (CONCERT DAY - and TBA Full Band)
- Jazz Band - Please don’t forget about the extra rehearsal FRIDAY May 24th after school!
- Band Sectionals: Christie & Sterling Wednesday
- Peer Teaching Lessons: MONDAY: Annie Lamarre & Elora Mustus
- Jazz Band & Chamber Students - Brief meeting TODAY AT NOON (Wednesday)
Thursday May 23rd Rm 224 Block 1 (Mr. K’s room) Drug awareness with AADAC Jack - Ben Jorgenson, Virginia Strauch - report to this class at the start of Block 1
Friday May 31st Rm 164 Block 3 Finances-Budget, Loan, Credit cards with ATB Financial
CAFE CORNER –
- Monday- No School
- Tuesday –Bacon Cheeseburger $6.00
- Wednesday- Popcorn Chicken Poutine $6.00
- Thursday - BBQ Pork Rib Patty $6.00
- Friday – 2 Piece Fish and Chips $8.50
- Soup Of The Week – Chicken Tortilla Soup $3.50 $3.50
- Special Of The Week – Grilled Cheese & Soup $6.00
- Coffee Of The Week – Iced Coffee $3.50
DUAL CREDIT STUDENTS –
- Students interested in the Admin Professional Program, the Dental Office Assistant and the Medical Office Assistant Program - applications are due in no later than Friday May 17th. Let Ms. Dundas know if you are registering for a program.
FEMALES INC. –
- Next meeting will be TUESDAY May 28th.
- Watch the grad FB page for a poll to vote on the grand march songs. Hailey Whalen will have it announced when the poll is up.
- Grads are fundraising with the Alberta Beach Ag. Society. Sundays starting Mother's Day and going until June 23rd the grads can sign up to work a shift selling popcorn at our Farmer's Market. The money is going towards the grad dinner and dance. Sign up sheet will be in the breakout room.
- Information on Diploma Preparation courses is available in the counselling office. Students who are completing a Diploma course by correspondence should also consider this option.
- Grads - get your baby pictures and grad quotes emailed in to Mr. Butler (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you need help scanning your picture - stop by the Wrap Around area.
- The 2019 Grad list is posted. Grads must ensure your name is spelled correctly - let Ms. Dundas know if it is not. If your name appears on the Potential Graduate list- see Mr. Lobo or Ms. Dundas to find out how you can get your name on The Onoway Jr. Sr. High Graduating Class of 2019 list. Only the students on this list will be allowed to participate in OJSH graduation ceremony.
- Any grad who would like to contribute photos to the grad slideshow shown on the day of grad please submit your photos via email by May 31st. If you do not have a scanner please speak to the school for assistance. In an effort to try and ensure we don’t miss anyone we have divided it up by feeder school. Please send it to the student’s school email address. We do not want them going to a personal email account. If you have photos of previous school events, of students or field trips sporting events, etc. Please forward those as well! Onoway students send to Randi and Rebekah; Grasmere students send to Bailie and Hailey; Darwell sends to Maddy Johnson; Rich Valley sends to Jayde or Cara; all others send to Justine.
GREEN CERTIFICATE –
- Any students interested in starting in the Green Certificate program - there will be an information/registration meeting at our school on Tuesday June 4th at 4:45 pm. Interested students and parents should attend. Please sign up with Ms. Dundas.
LEARNING COMMONS CAFÉ-
- CAFE upstairs in Learning Commons will have new hours of operation for semester 2. It will be open on Tuesday and Thursday at lunchtime.
PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB –
- Photography Club ended for the school year!
POST SECONDARY INFORMATION -
- Lac Ste.Anne Natural Gas Co-op has two $500 scholarships for students in Grade 12 who are pursuing a gas fitting or business/office related course. More information is available at steannegas.com/scholarhsips.php or see one of the counsellors. THE DEADLINE FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP HAS BEEN EXTENDED - MAKE SURE TO APPLY!!
SUMMER CAMPS -
- First Nations in grades 9-12 - Are you interested in kayaking, rafting, and climbing in the Rocky Mountains? If so, First Nations Technical Services Advisory Group Inc. is hosting its Environmental Youth Camp for First Nation students July 21st -26th . If interested please see Mrs. Noyes.
High School students interested in a career in the healthcare field - consider the Health Sciences Career Academy August 12-16 in Edmonton. You will tour labs, do hands-on activities, go behind the scenes in healthcare facilities, meet people and learn about 100s of career paths. Visit https://www.careersnextgen.ca/health-camps/ or see one of the counsellors for more information
SUMMER JOB -
- Alberta Beach Library is hiring a Summer Relief Clerk
The job runs from July 2 to August 24. The successful applicant must be reliable and 16 + years. Duties include:
- Planning and running summer reading club activities for 3-12 year olds
- Planning and supervising some STEAM activities using Lego, K’nex, etc.
- Offering basic computer orientation to new computer users
- Assisting library staff with library tasks like shelving, pulling holds, assisting library patrons as needed
- Helping with summer Poly Days book sale
- May include some light cleaning duties or light outside work
- Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant must be available to work all open hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 2:30 pm to 8:00 pm, Wednesdays 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Fridays 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, and Saturdays 11:00 pm to 3:00
Tabletop Gaming Club-
- It’s back! Anyone interested in playing Monopoly, card games, or role-playing games, come to the Library on Wednesdays after school each week or talk with Mr. Van Camp for more information.
- Please check with Mr. Huxley to make sure you have submitted all your hours for the months up to the end of April. Also, please pick up Evaluation Forms - Employer Evaluation and Self Evaluation. Return Evaluation Forms asap.