The University of Alberta is offering course registration assistance/workshops- visit uab.ca/reg101.
Indigenous Student Discovery Day at the U of A is May 15th. See one of the counsellors for more information.
Portage College Open Houses!! Open Houses begin May 7th and run until May 16th at the various campuses. See one of the counsellors or check the website portagecollege.ca for more information
- AFS Interculture Canada - offers opportunities for students to study in another country. Scholarships are also available. If you are interested - see one of the counsellors.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! Encounters with Canada If you are a student in grades 10 or 11 who tries your best in class and is interested in learning more about Canada - consider applying to attend Encounters with Canada - a one-week trip to Ottawa. During that week you will focus on an area of interest (examples: RCMP, Government, Economy, Medicine), meet students from across Canada and learn more about our nation’s capital. Visit https://www.ewc-rdc.ca/pub/en to learn more about this great opportunity and see Mrs. Noyes if you are interested in applying.
Scholarships & Bursaries
Attention Gr. 12 students! Exciting scholarships & bursaries
1) Local Scholarships and Bursaries
- NEW BURSARY!! The Barb Letendre Youth Community Leadership Bursary sponsored by the Alberta Beach & District Agricultural Society is now available for youth between 10-14 years. Students can apply for the $250 award by writing a letter explaining how you are an active leader in your community. Deadline for letters is May 15, 2019. Mail them to Box 330 Alberta Beach Alberta T0E 0A0
- The Alberta Beach & District Agricultural Society is offering a $2000 post secondary scholarship to students enrolled in a minimum 2 year program. The deadline for the application is May 15 2019 . Selection will be based on: academic success, citizenship and volunteerism and leadership. Application forms are in the counselling office
- Parent recommended: https://www.grantme.ca/
2) Alberta scholarship and award deadlines and applications:
Scholarships & Awards Deadlines:
It's important for students to leave as much time as possible to complete their scholarship applications. Many scholarships and awards have annual deadlines - and some have fall/winter session deadlines.
Alberta's scholarships and awards are made available either by:
- Student Application- Student must complete and submit application.
- Nomination of Recipients- School/supporting organization must nominate and process application on behalf of the student.
Note: For nominated scholarships and awards, students must inquire about the school’s/sponsoring organization’s posted application deadline. This deadline typically falls months before the nomination deadline which is in place for the school/sponsoring organization to submit their nominations to Student Aid.
The deadlines for submitting completed applications and supporting documents required to apply for Alberta scholarships and awards varies according to each scholarship and award.
This recently launched new website ( https://ScholarTree.ca) helps students find and apply for scholarships.
The site was created with the intent to help reduce student debt, which many students have to take on for post-secondary education. ScholarTree.ca streamlines the scholarship process for students; all they have to do is create a simple profile and based on the information they provide (including school, field of interest, volunteer experience etc.) we will match them to all of the scholarships that they qualify for. ScholarTree is 100% free to students!
4) The Royal Canadian Legion
Attention any and all graduating High School students. The Royal Canadian Legion has bursaries available for students graduating from Canadian high schools. The bursaries are available at both the Provincial and Local Branch level. Visit the counselling office to get the website address or more information.